Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Fun Home - 07/07/18



This is a show I had been obsessing with for a over a year. I was so excited when it was announced in London. The way the tickets work at The Young Vic is you pick a band and you get your seats assigned at a later date. I don't remember what band I picked but they had student tickets at £10 so we choose the ones in that band. I expected kind of horrible seats, but no, we were in Row G. which was very close considering when we saw The Lion King at £22 we were in the heavens.

We saw the show in previews, meaning they could have adjusted things since then. Not that much needed adjusting, the only mildly concerning thing was Medium Alison's college bed. It was on wheels which I understand is to make it easier to bring onstage but it kept moving whenever somebody would get on or off it. This resulted in it coming off the turntable and the stage manager having to come out to push it back on. This didn't detract from the performance though, it was just one thing I noticed in and otherwise perfect show.

The standout performers were definitely Jenna Russell as Helen, Harriet Turnbull as Small Alison, Archie Smith as Christian and Eddie Martin as John. The children's entire number 'Come To The Fun Home' got the longest applause I have ever witnessed in a theatre. I am half surprised there wasn't a mid-show standing ovation. It was such a fun number with astounding choreography to match the brilliant vocals. Russell's performance of 'Days and Days' almost had me in tears. The only other musical that has had me that close to crying is Falsettos. If I could see this show again, I would. Lets hope it does a UK tour so I can!

5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment