Sunday, June 10, 2018

Prague Fringe Festival 2018: Babel

BABEL

Theatre and libraries. My two favourite things! Imagine how excited I was for an immersive performance about libraries. However, the performance was too complex. I think the cast achieved the idea they were going for, but there were too many complicated words and no definitions. There was a seemingly irrelevant audio coming in at intervals with subtitles going too quick for it.

The gymnastics done by the performers were amazing. They were definitely the saving grace of the performance. If they found a way to incorporate more gymnastics into the piece, I think the performance as a whole would have been more intriguing.

I also like how the person on tech was integrated into the piece, I never thought of him as tech, not until the end when I realised all he had done was sat at the computer. He was just part of the library scene for me, as whatever library you go into, someone will be on a computer.

I do believe that there was a really interesting concept at play, it just wasn't executed as well as it could have been. The performance whilst advertised as immersive, was not immersive at all. Had we been in a physical library, there may have been a stronger feel of immersion and it could definitely have been advertised as site specific artwork. With a few more tweaks and simplification, or at least definitions, it could become something amazing.

Especially with the decline of libraries at the moment, we need pieces celebrating libraries like this more than ever.

2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment